Saturday, February 12, 2011

This one's by the gaslight anthem!

Dudes and dudettes, there are literally 8 million acoustic gaslight anthem covers on youtube. It's out of hand! Anyone with a guitar and undeservedly high self esteem jumps in front of their webcam and starts playing something.

The problem (besides the obvious) is that no matter how well you play guitar, or how well you sing, you can never perfectly mimic Brian Fallon. Regardless of the emotion you may feel from a gaslight song, it's still a second hand experience, and it will show no matter what you do.

This goes for all covers, but covering a gaslight song is like covering "layla". Or something. I don't know. Who am I to tell these people NOT to do that? I mean, on one hand it is really cool to see people taking a stab at it, but on the other hand I wanna break out the squirt bottle on them.

There is a profound lack of full band covers of tga songs. That's because in any band of 4 or more people, you're gonna have one dude who's like "no."

And you're gonna have a minimum of 3 people who can't play it correctly. Fuck, even CLOSE to correct! The 59' sound is my alltime favorite song, and it literally kills me a little everytime I hear someone butchering it.

Look, I play more gaslight than my own songs...at home. Or in practice. Or whatever, just not on a fucking webcam. If you were doing that on chat roulette, and the only other option was braving the sea of dicks which seem to be whipped out 24/7, Id dive into that ocean in a heartbeat.

Actually, I wouldn't go to chat roulette, cause its all dude's weiners, and at very best you might see an acoustic gaslight cover. By someone not wearing any clothes.

-Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment