Friday, February 18, 2011

Blue Sky Noise and the truth about Bowser

I'm quickly realizing that Circa Survive is the band music critics (and even people who matter) expect to hear when they pop in a new radiohead album. I HEARD their newest album "blue sky noise" when it first came out, but I didn't actually LISTEN to it until recently.

I feel like I had a $100 bill tucked away in my wallet but I didn't find it til now. Let's face facts here. (By facts, I clearly mean my opinion) "strange terrain" is just about the best way to open an album. I get the same feeling listening to the album starting as I do when I hear the beginning of "Floorbound" (The opener from Punch Drunk's 2004 album "pure unadulterated hate is the best medicine").

Its the feeling that there's a freight train barrelling down on you. There's nothing you can do to stop it. There's nothing that could make you WANT to stop it. It's that feeling of curiosity combined with adrenaline that silently urges you to keep your eyes open. To watch the train connect with your body.

Basically, if you haven't felt this feeling from music before, you're buying the dust jacket and ignoring the book it was meant to protect. You're getting cliff notes when you wanted the unabridged version.

Here's the point I'm trying to make:

There are literally zero radiohead album reviews that describe the sensation I'm flailing to convey. Check out blue sky noise, but also check out anything else you can get your hands on until you've experienced this feeling. I gotta warn you though, once you've felt it you can't unfeel it.

Also, I'm working on writing a short cartoon or comic about the truth behind Bowser "kidnapping" the princess all the time. It will NOT be G Rated, but it will NOT play off that tired notion that Bowser wants to get in her pants.

He's some sort of reptile, and he clearly exhibits his lack of genitalia. I can't believe the numerous discussions online where this glaring fact is miraculously overlooked.

-Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment