Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Something I can't understand

It's been a while since I've posted something on here, but I'm sure no one is crying over it. Lately, I've been listening to Circa Survive. On repeat. From the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep.

Shelica asked me a minute ago why I'm so obsessed with them now, and it got me thinking that I really didn't know why, it just happened. So anyways, I've been thinking and here's what I came up with.

Every once in a while (a great while) I come upon a band or an album that I just can't understand. I mean, I can understand it in the traditional sense that it's 10-12 songs that you listen to and then it's over... but I can't really UNDERSTAND it.

The last time it happened was with Gaslight's American Slang album. I had heard their previous records, but my brain couldn't process the leap from the 59' sound to American Slang. It was a progression that was so illogical that it became the only logical point of succession.

It's happened a handful of times in the past, where I just hear something that I can't fathom. Taking Back Sunday's Tell All Your Friends album was one of those moments, where you hear it and just think to yourself "Did these kids really just do that?"

The "problem" for me is that once I've wrapped my head around it, I want to know exactly HOW they did it. I want to understand it further.

You can't tell me "The Ugly Organ" didn't blow your head off the first time you heard it. I didn't know what the hell was going on for like a week after hearing A Gentleman Caller.

Good records make you smile and sing along, but truly great records disorient you. They take everything you thought you knew about music and invalidate it.

And that, my friend, is the story of Charlie Sheen's addiction to #winning

No comments:

Post a Comment