Sunday, January 23, 2011

Better to burn out bright I guess...

If you haven't heard yet, this is a sad day for anyone who doesn't suck. After receiving yet another slew of bad reviews from people who aren't smart enough to walk a dog for a living, kevin smith officially announced he will only be directing one more movie. Ever.

It sounds like it's gonna be sick, and hopefully he pulls out all the stops and fills it with easter eggs for all the die hard fans.

On a completely unrelated note, I have a brand new song I'm itching to try out on a crowd. I don't know what to name it, but it's a pretty personal song for me. I tried to stray away from insider references and inside jokes, and not use metaphors. I'm not sure how well that worked out.

Also, its the first song I ever wrote specifically to be an acoustic song. I feel like my writing has gone in a different direction. Its not that "douchebag college kid who thinks because he owns a guitar that people want to see him play it at parties", and it's not the usual "apathetically going through the motions".

Its hard to pinpoint the genre of music I'm writing, for me at least. When you listen to it, you will (hopefully) just hear my band. You (hopefully) won't hear gaslight, millencolin, weezer, brand new, etc etc. That's the problem for me. When I hear a song I wrote, I can remember where I first heard and subsequently emulated someone elses playing style.

I'm truly not sure if anyone else hears it the way I do, but Jerry used to reassure me that I didn't rip anyone off. It's weird to not have him there for my insecurties, but that's what the song is about. It's about Jerry finally being fed up with the bullshit I've been slinging for years, and how I'm really not mad at him for it. I don't blame him!

No comments:

Post a Comment