Saturday, January 8, 2011

They mean the world to me

Alright, I'm gonna attempt to tackle a topic that's rather near and dear to me. In the past few years, I've had an ever growing infatuation with a band from New Jersey. In this entry, I will attempt to describe the reasons behind that obsession, and by the end, if you're not a fan yet, hopefully you will have the motivation to get out from beneath the rock you call a home and check out my alltime favorite band.

I'm speaking, of course, about The Gaslight Anthem.

Now, in no particular order, here is the first reason to give these boys a chance. Brian Fallon (vocals, guitar) is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. I have never in my life heard him say anything bad about another band, which is really hard to accomplish. Before him, I thought it was impossible.

The band hangs out with the fans every night after the show. Seriously. You don't see metallica doing that.

Every song they have released is good. This is because they are great musicians, but also because they write about 45-50 songs before they go into the studio. They then take only the 10 best, and use those on the album. They throw the rest out.

It's impossible to define them into a single genre. Haters love to pidgeon hole them as "springsteen punk", but haters hate. That's all they do.

Speaking of Bruce Springsteen, he is as big of a Gaslight fan as I am. When the guy you have "ripped off" ( as the haters say) publicly becomes one of your biggest fans, it's safe to say you're doing something right.

Adam Lazzara (Taking Back Sunday) is also an outspoken advocate of the gaslight anthem. He has said he would leave taking back Sunday to join them.

Alex Rosamilia is the best lead guitar player ever. He doesn't play any guitar solos, but instead layers amazing riffs over the entirety of the songs.

Every member of the band is top notch at what they do, which is really never the case. Alex Levine is a great bass player, and Benny Horowitz makes drumming interesting.

To add to all this, they have been hailed by rolling stone magazine as the best live performing band currently playing anywhere in the world. They have spot on performances, and every time I see them they've somehow gotten better.



So there you go. If you haven't really checked them out, here's a few songs to give a try.

The 59' Sound
We Came To Dance
Say I Won't (recognize)
We Did It When We Were Young
She Loves You

No comments:

Post a Comment